The Do's & Don'ts of Eyelash Extensions

The Do's & Don'ts of Eyelash Extensions | Everything To Know Before Getting Eyelash Extensions | Beauty FAQs on Living After Midnite by Jackie Giardina

I had every intention of writing this post when I first got my eyelash extensions in February, but then I thought to myself "how am I suppose to offer advice about eyelash extensions when I haven't fully experienced them yet?" Fast forward 2 months and now after having my extensions for 2 months and getting them filled twice I'm here to share all about them! First I thought I'd tell you the Do's & Don'ts, general rules to follow when you get eyelash extensions the first time and then I figured I'd finish with other tips and tricks I've learned along the way and my personal experience with them!

The Do's and Don'ts of Eyelash Extensions | Everything To Know Before Getting Eyelash Extensions | Beauty FAQs on Living After Midnite by Jackie Giardina

THE DO'S:
-Only use products that are oil-free. That means face wash, makeup removers, moisturizer, eye cream, etc.
-Get a silk pillowcase (especially if you sleep on your side or stomach). Not only is silk gentler on your face and lashes, but it's better for your skin and hair too!
- Gently brush out your lashes with a clean mascara after getting them wet so they don't clump together. This is especially important if you have tube lashes like I do.
-Take Biotin (or another hair/nail/skin supplement). Strong lashes translate to longer lasting eyelash extensions.

The Do's and Don'ts of Eyelash Extensions | Everything To Know Before Getting Eyelash Extensions | Beauty FAQs on Living After Midnite by Jackie Giardina

THE DON'TS:
-Don't get your lashes wet for at least 24 hours after getting your extensions. My lash stylist advised me to come to my appointment without any makeup on so that there was no need to wash it off at the end of the day. Every time I've gotten them filled I've stuck to this advice and I highly suggest it.
-No heat or steam for at least 24 hours, that means exercise, grilling, blow drying hair, tanning, etc. The steam and moisture can loosen the adhesive that's keeping your lashes on. After 24 hours the bond should be solid and moisture won't bother them.
-Don't curl your lashes with an eyelash curler, it could pull out your extension.
-Don't rub your eyes or pull on your lashes.
-No waterproof makeup...especially eyeliner! I'm sure if you use waterproof face makeup it wouldn't be a problem as long as you keep it away from your lashes.

The Do's and Don'ts of Eyelash Extensions | Everything To Know Before Getting Eyelash Extensions | Beauty FAQs on Living After Midnite by Jackie Giardina

More advice I've learned along the way...It's advised not to put mascara on your eyelash extensions, but my stylist let me know that in the few days leading up to a filling you may need to add a little bit of mascara so that your extensions blend into your real lashes better. Usually about 5-7 days before I get my lashes filled I have to use mascara, and even though your extensions are sparse at this point a little bit of mascara can go a LONG way, it makes your lashes (real & fake) look amazing!! Make sure your mascara is NOT waterproof and I suggest making sure it's easily removable so you're not rubbing your eyes to get it off (I use this one and have had great results!)

The Do's and Don'ts of Eyelash Extensions | Everything To Know Before Getting Eyelash Extensions | Beauty FAQs on Living After Midnite by Jackie Giardina

Frequently Asked Eyelash Extension Questions:

How long do they take to get? Your initial appointment will take around 2 to 2 1/2 hours depending on what type of lashes you get and how full you get them. Refill appointments usually take around 1 1/2 hours.

How long do they last? It depends on the person and how quickly your natural lashes fall out, but mine last between 3 & 4 weeks. I usually schedule my lash refills every 3 1/2 weeks.

Does it hurt when you get them put on? Not at ALL! I'm not going to lie it's a little strange at first because you've probably never had someone play with your eyelashes before, but after you get over the initial feeling it's very relaxing. I swear I dozed off once while I was getting them filled. You're laying down, music is playing and your eyes are closed the entire time, it's hard not to feel relaxed.

What type of eyelash extensions do you have? I have Xtreme Lashes Semi-Permanent Eyelash Extensions. They are synthetic lashes that are thicker near the root and thinner on the tips like your natural lashes. Mine are also tube lashes which means that instead of attaching one lash extension to each of your lashes, a tube is applied over each of my lashes with about 3 eyelash extensions.

The Do's and Don'ts of Eyelash Extensions | Everything To Know Before Getting Eyelash Extensions | Beauty FAQs on Living After Midnite by Jackie Giardina

I'm warning you, you'll get addicted! I never thought I would love my eyelash extensions as much as I do, but I'm obsessed and can't imagine not having them. I am by no means an eyelash extension expert, but before I got them the first time I had a lot of questions and reading a post like this would have been really helpful!

Before your first appointment schedule a consultation with your lash stylist so she can see your lashes and advise you on the best eyelash extensions for you. My stylist told me I had very thick lashes so she suggested getting a very full set because eyelash extensions tend to fall out easier. She really customized my set to compliment my face, eye shape and natural lashes & yours should too!

Feel free to email me with any questions & if you're located in the Tri-State NY/NJ/CT area I get mine done with Nicole at Westchester Lashes (she's the best!) and I highly suggest going there.

Check out some of the makeup tutorials I've done since getting eyelash extensions here, here, here & here!

*
Twitter | Facebook | Instagram  | Pinterest
Snapchat | @jackiegiardina


The Do's & Don'ts of Eyelash Extensions

Labels: , ,